Friday, March 25, 2016

Gaming to teach vocabulary, technological grit, and digital citizenship

Hi, all! Today I'm writing about gaming in the classroom to teaching World Language vocabulary. Granted, this may seem a bit of a tight niche, but it is something I have found to be extremely helpful to get buy-in from my students. I teach 7th grade Spanish and it is a pretty consistent struggle to get the students to speak in Spanish. I understand. When I was 12, sometimes there were tasks that seemed insurmountable and I took the easier path. I think some kids feel they can't, so they don't. However, I've found with gaming and using different technology to deliver that gaming experience, that this task has become easier.

I use Kahoot (though I know that Quizlet now has a gaming outlet and that there are others). When I begin a game, I always set up three major rules...
1. A game is fun, but it also for us to practice what we learned. 
2. Celebration is great if it is short, gracious, and in Spanish. 
3. Spanish, and only Spanish. 

Now, I've never seen a room fall more silent during such a jubilant time as a game in the classroom when you require Spanish, but over the past few months I have seen an amazing uptick in conversation and in Spanish! Be still my beating heart, controlled chaos and competitive edge has returned, in Spanish! 

Before the game I ask the kids, what types of vocabulary they may need to cheer, describe standings, and utilize during the game, I am a constructivist at heart. I then write that on the board. Usually words like "My turn", "I'm in first/second/third place", and "I got it right/wrong!" are pretty typical. I sometimes add little phrases and sometimes some come up during the game. One of my favorites is "I'm coming for you!"  "Vengo para ti!" (though I know this type of phrase isn't used like this in Spanish. 
On top of the game teaching vocabulary and reviewing targeted concepts, it teaches a form of community and citizenship. Students know not to make up fake names, not jeer each other, and they know how to problem solve when technology isn't working (oh the inevitable, "MY SCREEN IS FROZEN"). Really, gaming has tons of benefits that, as I write this blog entry, are being teased out. I think it really behooves us as teachers to embrace (at appropriate times, of course) fun and games and fold in vocabulary, values of community, and technology integration/digital citizenship. Much like hiding broccoli into cheesy pasta for the picky eater (a group of which I was the king member as a child), I've seen more kids buy-in and not even realize how much benefit they were getting! I leave you with this question that I hope to spark conversation: How do you/how can you utilize gamification to fold in the values of academic vocabulary, technological grit, and digital citizenship!

Until next time!
-S 

No comments:

Post a Comment